Thursday, April 16, 2020

Quarantine island, all-time top five: Shireen Amini



Bend singer-songwriter Shireen Amini is best known as the guitarist and lead vocalist for Central Oregon Latin dance/funk/rock group ¡Chiringa!. Formed in 2012, the band performs originals and Afro-Latin inspired covers of modern songs, and released its debut album, "Familia," in 2017. Amini also has a formidable repertoire of solo, original material.

Fans can hear her perform songs from these projects, as well as some new material, during her first live stream concert at 6 p.m. Saturday. The show is part of the Worthy Roots Relief Fund live stream series, which helps support relief efforts for musicians and support staff during the pandemic. Check out the Facebook event page here.


What was the first album you purchased?

"The Bodyguard Soundtrack!" Haha, I just adored Whitney Houston as a kid and still have this CD in my possession to this day.

What was the first concert you attended?

The first real big concert I can remember attending, I was in fifth grade. I went with my friend and her family to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. I had never heard of him before. The only song I remembered from that concert was "Free Fallin'"... loved it!

Who was the first musician who made you want to be a musician?

I can't say I ever consciously chose to be a musician because I saw someone else and said, "I want to be like them!" I trained in piano early on and writing my own songs just gave me a feeling like no other. More of an internal gratification. If anything, I'd say my piano teacher, Myrna, who taught me for at least 10 years and encouraged me to write my own music, made me want to be a musician.

Who is the last musician you listened to?

I think it was Amy Winehouse! I watched that tragic Netflix documentary for the second time. It's fascinating how old-soul talent comes through certain young artists and it's heartbreaking that so many do not get the support they need for addiction treatment, drowning under the pressures of talent and fame. Hell of a voice, though.

What are your desert-island quarantine top five albums?

It's crazy, but I have been so immersed in creating music and projects to keep myself sane through quarantine, I have hardly been listening to music! Let me see, my partner and I busted out some classic salsa playlists (Celia Cruz, Hector Lavoe) on Apple Music to practice dancing in the living room. I'm super digging the music of Emma's Revolution, particularly a song called "Keep on Movin' Forward," which I heard through a virtual community singing gathering. For my partner's daughter's 17th birthday (in quarantine) we made a fire outside and drummed and belted out Sublime! "What I Got," "By the Rivers of Babylon." That felt good. Amazingly hip to this high-schooler even though it was hip when I was in high school, almost 20 years ago! I've been digging into some old spirituals like "Woke up this Mornin'" and "Keep your Eyes on the Prize" to just sing and give me strength and hope. Honestly, anything with a good groove right now seems to get me out of fear and mental stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment